Saturday, September 20, 2008

Opportunity knocks

Went to a fundraising committee meeting today. Somehow I was able to squelch my volunteer urge and made it out without becoming an officer. The issue came up of setting aside certain areas of fundraising events for the coops and this guy, well the founder of HVSS actually, said he had an issue with things being just given to the coops. I'm telling the story backwards.

The co ops are responsible for raising their own funds and the fundraising committee will match them. They do different things, the playground co op let people make stepping stones, the art co op sold milk shakes, etc. So the question came up about letting the art co op have the proceeds from the penny social at the craft fair or run it or something like that. This is when the discussion began about why they should get anything special just because there would be a bunch of art there. He brought up the point, why aren't they here and why don't we offer something to every co op. What was suggested by another staff member was that an announcement would be made that the co ops could run their own fundraising activities with ours but they would have to come and present it to us and be a part of the process. It is such a good idea. There's incentive without coercion. There is a view on the outside world and an introduction to the larger processes involved in planning an event or capital campaign or what have you. And it's totally voluntary.

That's so sudbury. Provide the opportunity and let them run with it. I wonder if it gets frustrating when they don't. I would imagine that staff is better at not romanticizing or getting too invested in plans that don't come to fruition. I know, in my own evolution as a parent, this is something that I've had to learn. Or unlearn.

My last list:
Dream Jobs:
  1. Writer
  2. Sociologist(field work)
  3. Pilot(dream hobby really)
  4. Campaign Strategist
  5. Interpreter/Translator
  6. Own an Art Gallery
  7. Corporate Subverter(I go in and tell management why their policies are stupid and how their employees are going to get around them)

2 comments:

Jen in FL said...

but what are the co-ops in relation to HVSS?

Are you going to do NaNoWriMo this year?

egghead said...

good question, Mrs.in Ct, I will address this in my next post.

I think I might try again this year, its definitely less hectic around here.