Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bossiness

A recurring complaint from Des is that his two best friends always want to play with him but sometimes he wants to play with the girls "and do activities". I guess his friends, according to Des, follow him everywhere and won't let him play with anyone else. Today Amelia complained about a new girl being bossy. I tell them how I think they should handle it or try and strategize with them and get to the heart of the problem. I recommend speaking honestly but kindly or writing them up if need be. Sometimes, though, I get sick of hearing about it and just want to intervene and solve the problem myself.

However, these are the things that they have to work out. And they really need to do it for themselves. We talk all the time about doing what's right and how hard it can be. I feel like if they get into the habit of standing up for themselves maybe when the time comes they won't feel the pressure to follow along into negative behaviors.

On another note Des said that he was feeling sad because he had no time to talk to me today. That was nice. Des isn't usually open like that.

No comments: