Thursday, September 11, 2008

I'm just a mom again

School Meeting decided that a staff member should be in charge of playday. Yeh! The system works! Well, it worked for me, not the staff member that may have been trying to get out of playday. I did have a twinge for a moment,you know, thinking, maybe it isn't that they don't want an outsider they just don't want me. But you know what? That's ok too. And I have a confession to make. I'm feeling very overwhelmed by the Hallowween fair enterprise and that motion is going to be discussed tomorrow. There is a small part of me that hopes I get a phone call saying school meeting doesn't want a Hallowween fair either. I know it could be really fun I just keep making lists of things I need to do or buy or make and they just keep getting longer and longer and longer...

I think there should have been a motion put before SM in the first place about whether or not to hold one although I can't imagine why they wouldn't. SM is a strange and mysterious entity to me. It's both a people and a place in my mind. Right now in Democracy in America I'm reading about the first New England Towns and Town Meetings and also came across a very interesting quote about religion and liberty which I will have to share with you at another point because the book is out of reach at the moment. anyway, School Meeting is based on the idea of governance through a Town meeting.

There is also a movie called Dogville that features a town meeting but in a very ugly way. The power of the meeting is abused to the point of absurdity. (somehow a character played by Nicole Kidman ends up wearing this odd iron collar attached to a an anvil that she has to drag around) The town is destroyed by violent criminals(in every endeavor people would do well to remember that there is always a bigger fish) and then during the credits there is just image after image of all sorts of nasty stuff that has happened in our country. I think the director, Lars Von Trier, was trying to say, you think this is a fable but look at the violence you yourself are capable of. He could have taken images from around the world and all of history to highlight that aspect of man's nature but he specifically chose to use only american images. I'm not sure why. I think europeans think we're deluded. I have veered way off topic here. Sorry. From sudbury to dogville. See if you can find those two in the same sentence anywhere else on the internet. :)

No comments: