Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I think I'm in love

the only problem is that he's been dead for 130 years. My RAL of Democracy in America finally started and I've only read the 100 page introduction and chapter 1 and I'm blown away. The scope of Toqueville's accomplishment cannot be overstated. Even the stuff he got wrong is fascinating because he should have gotten it right. Plus it makes me feel smart. Let me explain:

As my dedicated reader's know I think JC is why the Sudbury schools work so well. Read my other posts, I don't have time to get into it right now.

Well, Mssr. DeTocqueville called civil juries "the most energetic means of making the people rule, the most efficacious means of teaching it to rule well". Brilliant. God I wish I was that eloquent.

I wonder if he would mind if I called him Alexis?

No comments: