Friday, September 19, 2008

No More Playday

The enrollment committee met on wednesday and voted to cancel playday. Tuesday was a little nutty but I didn't realize how stressful it was for staff to keep playday going. I'm glad that I happened to be planning my own exit strategy for other reasons because if I hadn't I would have been pissed. I came home wed night to a message that basically said playday is cancelled and I hope you get over it. It didn't bother me at first but then I thought about it and realised that it was not the way to handle things. I suppose I'm not handling it well by posting it on my blog but nobody really reads this so no harm no foul. Anyway I talked to staff and it was brought up that a staff had to play an authoritarian role because Playday is not democratic. Which is true because preschoolers are not ready for that. It was an interesting way of looking at it that I hadn't thought of. I was under the impression that one of the goals of playday, in addition to introducing new families to the school, was to get younger siblings of students accustomed to sudbury. I don't know how the democratic aspect could be introduced. I mean Cady would happily vote on stuff, as long as what she voted for always won! Ha. I tried to think of a happy medium. Maybe a group that met once a month or something like that but really, I should be grateful that I was able to take advantage of it last year and now we will move on to other things. I haven't told Cady and I'm not going to. She will be disappointed but I don't want other people to be unhappy to indulge her. I'm just going to try and fill up our tuesdays until she forgets about it. There are some pluses to having a three year old!


Today's list:
Occupations that Fascinate Me
  1. sandhogs
  2. demolition experts
  3. forensic accountants
  4. composers
  5. lighting

2 comments:

Jen in FL said...

I guess where they are having growth at the school, they don't really care about getting the word out there. For our school, right now, Playday is going to be integral to getting more and new students.

Interesting...

egghead said...

I don't think it's that. I think it was just a little overwhelming and also nobody new was coming it was pretty much all younger siblings of students.