Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Adventures on Facebook

What a nightmare.

It all started out innocently enough. My highschool reunion is coming up and there is a reunion homepage that I posted a couple of comments on. That led to an email from an old friend who said "Hey, a bunch of us are on facebook. You should check it out." What was I thinking! I thought I could do a little bit of stalking, sort of like a reconnaissance mission. Oh no no no. Now, I'm afraid to check my email because it is becoming positively clogged with messages from my "friends". Well, technically from people adding me to their friends list.

An actual friend of mine recommended My Space for stalking because you don't have to share anything about yourself and I noticed a lot of overlap. I guess if you are into this sort of thing you join them all. i don't know. Also, facebook is kind of a tease. It didn't show me everyone who was on all at once. They just keep popping up. It's like getting bad news about your house. Hmm, there's a little bit of damage here. Oh it's termites. Oh I'm going to have to tear down the porch.

I'm trying to keep an open mind here. I'm trying to think, "how fortunate to be able to reconnect and maybe I will actually develop a true friendship with someone". But really I'm feeling," great, now I'm stuck with these fucking people forever".

1 comment:

Jen in FL said...

LOL! I've been getting a lot of emails from a "new" social networking site called TAGGED. They say something like "So-and-so added you to their friends list on tagged. Are you their friend? Y/N? Make sure you check yes or they'll think you said no."

I went over there, and my suspicions about the site were confirmed. It's just another con that convinces otherwise rational people to willingly hand personal information over to marketing companies so they can sell us more crap under the bullshit guise of "social networking". Bah!

I'm going to log on to my facebook account and add you to my friends list right now.