Wednesday, October 29, 2008

the time machine

The kids had a friend over the other day and after dinner they decided to build a time machine. After about an hour they had rigged something up with two lamps, a broom and dustpan, a pirate flag, some cardboard, some toilet paper rolls, these vinyl wall coverings from Amelia's room and a lot of scotch tape. When it didn't work in the living room they decided to bring it to the kitchen. They started to discuss which time they would travel to first and I said "if it works" and Ray snickered. Des went off! "Oh it WILL work. It WON'T work for you because you don't believe in it. People who don't believe in magic can't do magic. People who do believe in magic, DO MAGIC!"

He stormed back over to the time machine and turned to us and shouted "And you ARE NOT taking this down when I go to bed tonight." We found ourselves in that terrible position of wanting to laugh but knowing it would set him off again.

The funny thing is that part of me really agrees with him. I often get choked up at the end of the Polar Express. Because I still hope for Christmas miracles or strange doings on Halloween. I know we benefit from living in the age of science and rationality but I miss the hope and promise of magic.

1 comment:

Jen in FL said...

Wow. That is just the very definition of childhood, isn't it? "People who believe in magic DO magic!!"