Sunday, May 18, 2008

Vox populi

I have to give a hand to the staff for being able to put up with a lot of BS from the students and the parents. I think it takes a lot of self assurance to take the position because the only authority they have is what they earn. Just think about what it must take to be an adult at the mercy of children. The only way they can effect change in the school is through School Meeting and it has to be voted on. It may be a fantastic idea and School Meeting might get it wrong by voting it down but they have to live with it.

In a traditional school, policy changes come from administration and parents can complain but are often ignored. Teachers are often ignored and just told to get with the program. The beauty and torment of Sudbury is that everybody really does have a say. And it works!

Some ideas were floated yesterday that I totally disagreed with and I got to say so and I know I was listened to. I haven't tried to put forth anything on my own yet but I hope I can be as gracious if the group doesn't agree. I can be a sore loser. :)

No comments: