Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Assembly Agenda

Got the Agenda for the Assembly meeting next week and most of it is pretty businesslike but there are a couple of items that I am already marshalling my arguments against.

1. the idea(basically just a concept right now)of building dormitories for boarders. I don't like the idea of boarding schools. Kids belong with their families and dorms are a form of institutional living. They don't really belong to the larger community where their school is located and they are removed from their hometown so where are their roots? Also you can end up with conflict between the needs of boarders and day students.

2. A motion to remove students from the community service requirement. I'm very interested to hear the rationale behind this. I think it's important that kids get into the habit of giving back, and in ways other than cleaning. What is the big deal with asking them to help?

3.Removing the thesis requirement to get a certificate of graduation. I can't imagine this going over well. I mean, Jesus Christ, we don't ask a whole lot of these kids except that they challenge themselves. If this motion does pass I will make my own motion to change the name of the certificate of graduation to the certificate of showing up.

No comments: