Saturday, March 7, 2009

Egghead likes her booky book!

So I'm thinking about buying a used book store. for realsies.

I starting working there this week to see what it would be like to work and have four kids. since I'm only working from 10-2 it's not that bad.

I'm in heaven. For starters I have adult conversations the whole time I'm there. I might mention my kids in passing but they aren't the focus. How refreshing! Secondly, I'm surrounded by books. I've already come across about 30 that I want to read. Plus so many that I have read. It's like running into old friends.

The store itself is a disaster. There are probably 40,000 books. There are boxes and piles and stacks of books everywhere you turn. It's insane. It smells. It needs to be painted. Half of the books need to be priced and shelved. And people don't read the way they used to. Idiots.

Ray is not into it but I feel like this is where I'm meant to be. It makes me so happy to be around these books and talk to people about books and look at books and alphabetize the books.

I think i just may end up doing this!

Believe it or not, I should probably thank the sudbury gang. Seeing what they have accomplished with the school made me feel like I could accomplish something for myself. The people who founded the school or have been involved from almost the beginning are a very smart energetic bunch. I've learned so much from them.

I have to backtrack here. This whole bookstore project has been a revelation to me about what I can and can't handle and what is really important to me. I also feel like finally, at age 38, I'm actually daring to do something. Something hard but possibly rewarding. I'll have to continue more on this tomorrow. As usual, someone is crying and needs me. Ah, motherhood.

No comments: