Thursday, November 20, 2008

this would be even funnier if it was someone else

We're riding home from the bus stop and Amelia asks "Mom, what's sex?"
sigh, why is it always in the car?
"Well, it's how you make babies." I hear some whispering and i told you's and Amelia says "Des says that it's naked people rolling around hugging and kissing."
double sigh
"Well, that's part of it sometimes."
"Is that real?" Des asks, "Because we want to know the right answer. All the little kids want to know the right answer, Mom."
"do you have to do sex to make babies?" "yes"
Amelia then deduces that her cousin and his girlfriend who are expecting a baby "do sex"
"Why do you have to have your clothes off?"
"Well, sometimes it's more comfortable that way."
"You did it four times. I mean three because we're twins."
'Well, you don't have a baby every time you have sex."
"Oh we know that. so how many times did you do it?" Amelia hazards a guess "5, 6 times?"
Then Des asks "when you were making Finn, where was Cady? I mean, she wasn't just standing there right.'
I say "we found a private place and had some time to ourselves. Sex is a private thing and so mommy and daddy do that privately in privacy."
Amelia says "I bet we were all fast asleep."
I tell them that these are personal questions but I'm answering them so that they have the right information but they can't ask other people. I said that even adults don't discuss this with each other, it's that private.
Des asks "Do all animals do sex?"
"Yes."
"How do reindeer do it?"
I say "Honestly, Des, I have never seen that."
He says "Well they have those pointy things on their heads. Don't they hurt each other?"
"I really don't know."
Then he says "I heard people roll around all over the place." He looks at me and says "I know you didn't do that, mom."
It was the most exhausting conversation I've had with them in a while.

1 comment:

Jen in FL said...

oh. my. god. that is fucking funny. you're right, it is funnier to someone else.

Also, you handled the conversation very well, I think.