Friday, November 14, 2008

Obstruction of Justice

The kids were talking about lying to JC tonight. Of course I'm such an idealist that the idea that they would try to subvert it was deeply offensive to me. Then I got a grip and remembered that they are 6. They had told me about times where other kids have lied to JC but this was the first time that they had admitted it to me. Amelia said that she has never lied but she has occasionally left out "the part that I did". Des said that he has tried lying but "they still catch me." There are rules that he breaks regularly even though he knows it's wrong. Running in the halls is one. He has having a really hard time with that one this year. It's crazy because he is usually Mr. Slowpoke. He eats slowly, walks slowly, takes twice as long as Amelia to do anything. So what is the big rush at Sudbury, I wonder?

The conversation started because they read the chapter "Veritas Serum" in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I said "Imagine if JC had truth serum." They went nuts. Des said "I bet I would be expelled." Amelia said "That would be horrible and great. At the same time." They also didn't want me to ever give them that potion because they have some huge secret that they are sure I would punish them for. My guess is they broke something and I haven't found it yet.

Another exercise in expressing your disapproval without losing their trust or turning them off from confiding in you.

Back to JC though. I've noticed that people don't take perjury or lying to authorities or lying in general that seriously. I strive to always be as honest as possible but occasionally I will slip one in and the kids will call me on it. Why is it so wrong? Why are people so inured to it?

Well, our leaders have shone themselves to be liars time and again and that filters down. Leaders set the tone. Even in a country that worships at the altar of individualism and free thinking like ours.

Why is lying wrong? Because it erodes trust. Because it can lead people into making the wrong decision if they don't get the correct facts to base it on. I'll have to finish this tomorrow. My eyes are burning with tiredness.

No comments: