Wednesday, February 20, 2008

still struggling

This whole discussion about keeping parents out of school has got me in such a lather that at one point I started questioning the wisdom of sending des and amelia there.

It doesn't help that I'm applying to be a substitute staff member of sorts(the official title would be backup playday director) so I've read a couple more of the books about the philosophy and let me tell you, the whole attitude about parents and their children's development was so off putting. As well as another essay about how sudbuy champions the individual above all else. I thought I would throw the book in the garbage if I came across the term rugged individualism one more time.

The community can not survive without the contributions of its individual members but the individuals cannot survive without the community. OK maybe the individual can survive on their own but it's a lot of work.

I just cannot agree that keeping kids in a separate pocket with a cherry picked group of adults is what's best. I say extend the age mixing further and let everyone in. Fuck it. Let 80 year olds enroll if they want.

I should probably cite the articles that I've been reading and explain their position better but I'm too tired.

No comments: