Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hi again

Well I made it back from Texas in one piece. We had a good time. Here's some odds and ends stuff before I get back to "regular" posts.

BSG spoiler- ellen as the fifth? gaeta leading a mutiny? what the frak?!

I finally finished Democracy in America. wow. I'm thinking I want to read parts of it again. I also read The World Without Us. It's made me amp up my green living. It's not preachy but you can't read the whole book and not come away with a sense that we need to change the way we do things. It also appeals to the curious geek in me.

Speaking of the world withou me, my house without me had a leak from the washing machine and I now have a giant hole in my basement ceiling and a smallish hole in my kitchen ceiling. I'm getting a new carpet for the hall and stairs though.

Some funny "you just don't get sudbury, do ya?" moments with my in laws:
Ray's step mom would say after different activities "You can go back and talk about it at school. That was educational." After 4 or 5 times of this the kids told her "Nobody cares. Our school is fun!" She looked at me and I said "It's true. That's not what's most important about the school."
My father in law would give them these little pop quizzes. One time he asked Des how many states there were and Des said something like "You don't know? You're supposed to be a grown up!"

I never noticed how much strangers like to test children until my kids couldn't pass their tests anymore. They don't know how many states there are. They can't read yet. They don't know how to multiply. In fact they can barely add. Sometimes I worry about this. Mostly I don't.

Hmm, what else is new? I guess nothing else. The Alamo is much prettier than I expected. Texans are very tiresome with their love of ugly ass Texas though. I don't even think New Yorkers go on and on about New York the way Texans do. We really don't need to. :)

1 comment:

Jen in FL said...

Hi back at ya!

Welcome back to frigid winter.

BSG is beyond frakked up.

I thought 'the world w/o us' looked interesting. Can I borrow it?

Bummer about the leak. :-(

Wonderful Sudbury moments--I hate how grown ups are always testing little kids. I mean WTF do they care if a 7 year old knows how many states there are?

New York is OK, I guess. You should see CT! ;-)