Saturday, December 6, 2008

My boyfriend's back

I had taken a break from Democracy in America. For starters, the library wouldn't let me renew Volume I again. So I got behind on my read along. Plus, fooling around on the internet takes up a lot of time that might be spent in nobler pursuits. Plus we were all sick.

Instead of trying to catch up I decided to just pick up where my group is and start reading again. We have moved on to Volume II. Here's an interesting tidbit-vol. I was better received in America than Europe but Vol. II (published about 7 years later) was more popular in Europe than America.

Volume II is more sociological in nature. It looks at the effect of equality on everyday life and relationships, not just politics. My guess as to why it was not as well received in America is that Chapter 3 probably rubbed people the wrong way. It's hilarious and feels like it was written after an exhausting party but I think that what he ascribes to American character is really the universal tendency of the boor to glom onto someone.

Vol I is written so admiringly of American political institutions but Vol II takes all sorts of little jabs at the american character. I think it's funny and still see a lot of truth to some of them but many of his comments must have stung. No time to share any of those. Facebook scrabble doesn't play itself you know.

No comments: