Sunday, August 10, 2008

Summertime

The cicada's are singing in the trees almost constantly. At night, we have a veritable symphony of crickets and peepers. I spent yesterday afternoon at a backyard birthday party, sunny but neither hot nor breezy. Summer's colors are grass green, sky blue and cloud white. Those would be great colors for a flag. I would emigrate to a country who identified with summer colors.

This has been a well paced summer for me. It isn't whizzing by but I don't feel stuck either, I am studiously avoiding all of those obnoxious back to school reminders. I refuse to let the market spoil my fun just to sell me stuff!

This year I am striving for a more gradual transition. Step one is to be more conscientious about bedtime because there will be a bus this year so they will have to get up earlier. Hey I just thought of another great thing about sudbury. Going back to school there isn't a huge change because they aren't exactly going to be corralled behind desks!

1 comment:

Jen in FL said...

another wonderful thing about sudbury. I too have been making an effort not to succumb to the frenzy that is "Back to School!!!" Every time I think about zipping off to Target or Hannah to get a whole new stylish wardrobe for Isaac or to Staples for a mess of school supplies and a ginormous backpack with coordinating lunch cooler, I remind myself that Sudbury is just not that kind of school. Thank goodness! I think I'd be racking up some serious credit card debt if not for that.