Friday, April 4, 2008

Walkin' the walk

The reason I haven't posted lately is because there has been so much stuff going on at school that I don't even know where to begin. Seriously, I think I have two or three weeks worth of material.

One thing I have been thinking about is what the school-parent relationship should be. Lately, my kick is that parents should look at schools as a resource but accept the ultimate responsibility for their children's education. My dad pointed out to me that most parents aren't that engaged or willing to become more engaged in their kids lives that way. I agree but it drives me crazy when people don't do anything more than complain about the poor job the schools are doing. I think to myself, if your kid isn't learning what you think he should, pick up the slack. It's your kid for heaven's sake.

Well, I always think I have all the answers. A few days later Des says, "Mom, I'm really interested in math. I'm really curious about numbers. Can you teach me?" I reply,"Sure but you can always ask a staff member at school. They're there to help you with that stuff, you know." WTF?!! My child is coming to me, asking for help and I'm trying to pawn him off on his school because what he is interested in falls into a realm of traditional academics. What is galling is that I know I can teach him what he wants to learn, I just didn't feel like it.

Besides humility, this episode taught me that I need to provide more intellectual stimulation for Des at home. The kid is a little sponge and tends to have the same interests that I do. He isn't going to explore that stuff at school right now because he is so obsessed with the computer games.

No comments: