Thursday, January 17, 2008

Going Bowling

Ah sudbury, the lessons you teach me...

Amelia wanted to go bowling and wanted to bring a friend. Des chimed in and said that he wanted to bring his friends too. Since they all go to school together I said "Hey Why don't you try and plan a field trip?" Amelia was hesitant at first so we sat down and made a list of all the things that you would need to do to organize a bowling trip. She was excited and scared and asked if I would help her talk to the staff the next day to make the motion. My heart leapt with joy! First of all, I love to make lists. Secondly, I was excited that Amelia was undertaking this and thrilled that she wanted me to be a part of it. Thirdly, I'm very curious about the procedures in the school meeting and I was happy to have this little window. The whole night, up until bedtime, Amelia kept saying, " wow I can't believe that I'm going to do a bowling trip. I'm only five. I can't even read you know."

the next day, we pick up her friend and carpool mate and the first thing Amelia says is "Guess what, I'm going to make a motion to do a bowling trip" Her friend says, "I can't believe it. I just went bowling and I want to do a bowling trip." amelia says "Let's do it together." Des says, "Well, I don't want to make the motion but I want to go bowling." Life is wonderful and I sit in the front seat beaming with my list in my pocket.

It was a tuesday, playday, so when we got to school I said "amelia, let me get Cady settled and I'll go to the office with you." a staff member was nearby and Amelia started to walk over to her, hesitated, asked me to come with her but then said "No, mom I don't need you. we can do it." I said,"well, do you want the list." "No mom, I don't need it." "Are you sure, because I have it with me. It's right here , in my pocket." "No, no. I'm ok." I think I hid my disappointment well and I went into the playroom with Cady and Finn.

A little while later I was getting a drink of water and Amelia came up and asked for the name of the bowling alley. I said, pathetically, "Well, I wrote the number down, remember,on the list." She looked at me with her hands on her hips and said "Mom, I don't need the list. I just need the name." "Hoe bowl in Kingston" I said, and tried not to sigh dramatically.

So what did I learn? I guess just the same lesson that we parents learn over and over again-how to let go, gracefully if possible or grudgingly if we must. I have to try to remember that my child is capable and in capable hands at HVSS.

2 comments:

Jen in FL said...

first--what a great post!
last--How cool is it that your little babies are so freaking independent and capable!?

Ellen said...

And do we know what DAY this trip is happening? No, we do not. (Wait..do YOU know?)I can't wait till they're of the age where they can reliably relay information from those mysterious school meetings!