Monday, November 12, 2007

Yet another great thing about this school

Its great for Amelia because she doesn't have to time manage her play. So, if she's in the mood to play Littlest Pet Shop with the other girls she can and if she feels like playing rough with Des and his friends she can do that too. The girls aren't going anywhere. If she were in a public school where the playtime is rigidly defined everyday would require a choice.

I also think Sudbury is great for siblings. I've probably said this before but it has allowed Des and Amelia, who are twins, to separate on their own terms. I don't think they force separation for multiples in the public schools anymore but it would have been something to discuss and worry about and it just isn't an issue at HVSS. I think this is nice for other sibling groups too. I went to the same elementary schools as my sister and the same high school and most days we barely saw eachother even though we were in the same building because we were two years apart in age. I know that she always resented coming after me because I got good grades(although I was not necessarily a good student) and teachers expected her to be just like me. I resented it when people asked me why she was so different from me. We're very close now but I wonder if we would have been closer during our school years if we had spent time with each other instead of defending or discussing one another.

So far,at HVSS, I have noticed some siblings hang out together and some seem to go their own ways. So I guess it's just pretty regular.

No comments: