Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Just throw us a bone, would ya

Ray and I were talking the other night and he admitted to having mixed feelings about Sudbury. We know that the kids are thriving and yet there is still this little voice whispering "But are they learning?" Ray said "Would it kill them to have a class? A half hour with someone organizing them...and doing..something." I suggested they hang a poster of a giant apple with a worm, wearing a mortarboard, poking out of it . He countered with the idea of hanging a cursive alphabet border around the tops of the mirrors in the dance room. He wants a visual cue, something that can connect their experience to his school experience. We had a good laugh about it.

I bet they could stick three desks in a closet and call it "the classroom" and it would make some detractors feel better.

I was trying to explain this conversation when chatting with a mom in the parking lot. I did a poor job of it because she looked horrified when I suggested the alphabet. I should have explained that it was our goofy way of dealing with a situation that takes us out of our comfort zone but I think she took me more seriously than I had intended and probably thinks that we don't "get" Sudbury. Oh well. When you are as talkative as I am with almost no internal censor these things are bound to happen. I don't know if it's the fourth kid or what but I have become a total rambler. It's so odd to hear oneself do it and be powerless to stop. See, here I go. Actually, that ramble took place mostly in my head because I can't type that fast.
Good night.

No comments: