Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Play day

Tuesdays are play day at Sudbury. Playday is when kids 2-5 come to school with their parents and play for a couple of hours. Cady and Finn and I go so I can spy on Des and Amelia. No, I jest.

Playday is actually not true to the sudbury experience because there is some structure to it. You can't let three year olds run around unsupervised and then hold them responsible for the havoc they would create. I'd love to see them try to call Cady to JC for something that happened 15 minutes ago, much less the day before. It is a nice way to get them acquainted with the school though and the older kids are so great with them.

It's hard for me because I do want to spy on D and A but I don't want them to act differently just because I'm there. The first time they kept asking my permission to do things and I had to kep reminding them that I was not there in any official mommy capacity. Today when they wanted me to spend time with them away from the playday group I had to keep reminding them that I was there with Cady and she isn't a student there. I also got suckered into buying junk for Des because he was restricted to the lounge and had eaten all of his lunch by 11:30 and I felt bad for him.

I think of them as my little electrons. You can't tell the position and velocity of an electron at the same time so when you fix one you theoretically change the outcome of the other. I want to see what life is like for Des and Amelia at Sudbury but my very presence as an observer changes their behavior. There's something wrong with this analogy but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

How the hell do people blog every single day?

No comments: